Monday, November 30, 2009

Working for food and fruit

Food. Italy. The two are inseparable. It's gastronomia brought to the level of art. What makes Italy so special is the attenzione it gives to the everyday elements of successful living; therefore, it's natural that food plays an important ruolo in the Italian lifestyle. Italians know that fine cuisine is a precursor to living la dolce vita.


An increasingly popular way for families to vacation abroad and a new form of turismo in general is called agriturismo. Guests stay in the countryside on working farms or vineyards, which are usually equipped with all the amenities while maintaining a rustic, natural feel. It's a great way to experience Italy as it has existed for centuries, close to the land, but near enough to the sites that you can have the best of both worlds. But would you stay here?

Something else to keep in mind, when you are at the market to buy food:
In Italy, you should never pick out your own fruits or vegetables unless you're told that it's okay to do so. The commessa will carefully choose the best, ripest, most succulent produce you could want.

Want a treat, try this:

In Rome, a favorite summertime treat is il cocomero (watermelon), which can be bought at brightly lit bancarelle (stands). It's as red as a pepper, so sweet your teeth will hurt, and as wet as a waterfall (get extra napkins). Somehow, the Italians manage to eat the thickly sliced pieces with a plastic spoon (good luck!).
Another piece of fruit advice: Italians rarely bite into an apple. They peel it with a knife in one long curl and then slice it into bite-sized chunks, which they then share with everyone at the table!



What do you think of all that? Do we have any weird eating customs that you can think of?

12 comments:

  1. I would stay in the country side.I think that it is cool how the commessa picks out the best fruits and vegetables for you.That watermelon looks and sounds really good. I could eat some of that right now.I dont think that we have weird eating customs but people from other countries might think so .

    ReplyDelete
  2. all of the food looks very good!

    i would stay at the countryside vineyards because it looks very peaceful but then its not to far away from the main towns and sites.

    i think that it is neat how you dont pick your own food and how you get to let them help you because i am never good at picking out the best in the bunch.

    the watermelon looked VERY good and i would definately eat it!
    the apples look good to. i cut my apples like that sometimes too.

    something that other people might think that is a weird custom is that we waste a lot of our food. we very rarely use all of the food that we are given to cook with. like the fat off of a steak. but im not sure if other countries use it or if they dont.

    other than that i can not think of any weird customs that we have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Maddie, my account is being stupid!! :Italian food sounds really good. Better than Japanese food i think. it would be interesting to see a watermelon red like a red pepper. I love to pick my fruits and vegies from the garden. i think they taste best that way. As for our country i think that we dont have weird foods. but people from other countries might, just like we think of their food. So i cant really say what i think is "weird" here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the foods look AMAZING!!!!!!!

    I would stay in the country side. It looks beuatiful and everything is handed to you basicly.

    I love fresh food out of the garden it tastes sooooo much better that way. At my house we raise our own veggietables.

    In the US i dont think that we have too WEIRD of food but it depends what you think is weird... In other countries they have weird food but i guess if you are use to it it wouldnt be that weird....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think by looking at all of these fine and delicious foods, you are making me hungry !

    The Country Side looks very relaxing, a good place to go and get away, and actually looks very beautiful. I would definately stay there, and if I enjoyed it I would reccomend it to others to go and have a nice getaway !

    I havent discovered any weird eating habits unless you consider eating food with your fingers weird. Id consider that more like disgusting ! Foreigners that come to the United States may think our habits are crazy and up the wall. Especially when they are forced to use knives, forks, spoons, and butter knives.They may have troube learnign how to hold these utensils but once they start to get the hang of it, they will become pros ! (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. There food doesn't look that bad! Not like some of the Japanese foods!
    I would stay in the countryside! It looks pretty peacful there!
    I can't really thing of a wierd eating habbit unless you consider us putting ketchup or mustard on almost everything we eat?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The italian food looks delicious! :)


    The watermelon looks juicey!

    I would love to take a trip to italy. I think my whole family would love it also.

    I always eat with a spoon no matter what it is i don't like using my hands!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would stay in the country side to get away from all the noise of the big cities. I think the italians know how to prepare their food. I would really like to try some of that watermelon. I don't know of any weird eating customs we have in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The food looks really good! I would love to stay at the countryside. It looks relaxing and it would be nice to get away. We probably have really wierd customs to other people in other countries, but I cant think of any. Beside we eat a lot with using our fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All that food makes me hungry! The watermelon looks really juicy and now I want some watermelon.

    I would not stay in the countryside, because I think it would be too quiet for me and I can't stand TOO MUCH quietness. I would have to live in the town and cties.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i would love to stay there. it lokks so beautiful. i wouldnt like not being able to pick out my own fruit id rather pick it out my self. the watermelon looked delicious and perfect. i say some of the weird things we do here is how we use different foods and combine them to make one big dish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think i want to move to Italy now, and throw away my former desires to move to Japan for the raw fish and rice. quiet peaceful dinners are my favorite. and that watermelon sounds absolutely amazing.
    i cannot think of any weird eating customs that we have..my family grills a lot and we have great meals but no more different than any other customs.

    ReplyDelete