Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Un caffè y l'aperitivo

While I am here in Rome I wanted to stay somewhere nice and kind of funky. Not old and traditional. I had to call a month and a half ahead of time to reserve this room in the Beehive.
It is run by an American couple very into "green" living. They have recycling bins everywhere, organic food in their café, handmade soaps in the bathroom, and no air conditioning (which is fine since I am here in the fall). There is a yoga studio too. There are only two double bedrooms (I got one) and one big bedroom that sleeps 8. Not into sharing, although, we do have to share the showers, we have our own toilets and sinks.

In the café, I wanted some real Italian coffee. So here is how you order coffee in Italy: BE PRECISE! For expresso, ask for un caffè. Want a drop of milk, un caffè macchiato. A long black coffee is un caffè lungo o un caffè all'american. In the summer order iced coffee like un caffè freddo, un cappuccino freddo (iced coffee with milk), or una granite di caffè (frozen coffee, usually with cream).
Which would you choose?
I chose the caffè macchiato.
Then I went to Freni e Frizioni for aperitivo.

Aperitivo is a tradition from Milan that has spread around Italy of eating an array of hot and cold snacks. Bars, restaurants and some cafes offer them from 6pm - 9pm.
Here is what I got...
What would you eat for a snack??
Next up a trip on foot around Rome for some gorgeous pictures.




And the famous Collosseum built by the Romans back in the day for gladiatorial fights.

Here is what the inside looks like today. You can take tours all around the existing parts. It is pretty cool!
And finally... the best part... The Mouth of Truth. This is the famous stone from the movie Roman Holiday with Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn.

Legend has it that if you tell it a lie and then stick your hand in its mouth, it will devour your hand.

And of course, everyone has to try!

Next stop, Milan fashion capital of Italy!!! Can't wait. My pocketbook is going to hate me!!

16 comments:

  1. If I had to choose any of the beverages, i would choose un caffe. I would try some of the traditional italian foods. If they weren't that good, I would stick with foods that were more american. The Collosseum looks very cool. That would be the place I would visit if I ever go to Rome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The place you stayed looks awesome! Not really a cheap place i am guessing. Un caffè macchiato if i would choose any of it. The fontain picture you have, i've seen before in the Lizzie McGuire Movie. She throws a coin in there and makes a wish and supposively all her dreams come true or something like that. The mouth of truth looks kinda scary like its happened before. I would say something that i knew was true not something that i wanted to find out. I need both of my arms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well i approve very much of that coffee and you're food dish. and i've never seen that movie, but i do like Audrey Hepburn! that mouth does look pretty ominous.

    one bit of advice on your tours:
    do not worry about this small, insignificant matter commonly referred to as "your pocketbook." SPEND IT ALL!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. it's weird how you had to reserve the "Beehive Room" a month and a half early to get it. I, any of the drinks, would chose the un cappuccino freddo. The mouth of truth seems kind of scary because if you told a lie, it would devour your hand and I want my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder why you have to reserve your room so early. That coffee that you had looked pretty GREAT!!!! I would get the un caffe macchiato. I love milk in my coffe!!!! WOW that mouth of truth looks really freaky. I wouldnt want to lie to that stone it will eat your hand off!!! That room you are staying is BEAUTIFUL!! I wish i could stay there.... I woulnot spend all of your money just spend almost all of it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That room looked great.Well i would also choose the caffè macchiato. That's only because it looked AMAZING! That's so cool how you can put your hand inside the mouth. Well i wish i could stay in that room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this place looks totaly cool and totaly out of my price range. The food looks delicious. I would take any of the coffee except the black coofee. i would love to try some of those foods. The buildings look fascinating and totaly cool. They look really old but look very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the buildings are gorges and vary advanct for the time they were buited dont you think

    ReplyDelete
  9. ohmygosh! Rome looks amazing! Definately wana go there :)
    I definately want a un cappuccino freddo. I LOVE iced coffee!
    For a snack, i usually like anything sweet and quick to eat!

    Mouth of Truth seems awesome! i think i would tell a lie just to see if it takes my hand.
    i can always put it back on :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my those drinks and espressos just make my mouth water. I wouldnt mind trying them all but im not much for coffee or anything related to it, but is probably choose un caffè macchiato. Probably because its the only that sounds even close to good!

    There artwork and ancient history behind there buildings are marvelous! The little details they put behind the buildings are like nothing I have ever seen.

    OMG! Milian! I am officially excited, I cant wait to learn about there head start in fashion and how they know whats in and out of fashion.

    I cant wait.... im PUMPED! (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rome looks awesome! I dont like coffee. Also, iam not for sure what I would eat as a snack. The buildings are awesome. I would love to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rome looks so pretty! your so lucky! For The Café part i would drink un caffè macchiato!! And what i would get for a snack would be GELATO!! I want some so bad! Milan is Going to be AWESOME! Bring me Back something Expensive:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those buildings are beautiful! Im still going to go there when i get older. I thought the mouth of truth sounded pretty awesome! I would definitely try that. What I would eat for a snack is Ice Cream all the way!!!! 24/7! And maybe that caffè macchiato.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rome looks very pretty. I would probably drink any of the drinks. The food also looks delicious! The buildings are awesome. The room you stayed in looks beatiful. I would totally stay in it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. your hotel room looked really neat! and big like it is its own apartment. but of course it has to cost so much money! :(
    it is crazy how much different and how specific you have to be with coffee there! but i would choose the una granite di caffè because it sounds like it would be delicious!!!
    for a snack i would choose something that was sweet(:
    all the structures in Rome look very beautiful! i want to see the collusium!
    I would also want to put my hand in the stone!
    i cant wait to see what is next!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Italia food looks GREAT! I think I could eat about anything their for a snack!
    I don't like coffee- so that doesn't look that appealing. The stone looks kind of freaky! I probably wouldn't try it... of course it wouldn't matter because i've never told a lie :) You're hotel looks awesome, you should bring me along! Ha.

    ReplyDelete