Tuesday, December 8, 2009

La befana



The Christmas season is beginning here in Italia. One of their customs is kind of strange to me.

La Befana is one of Italy's oldest and most celebrated legends. Each year on January 6 the children of Italy awaken in hopes that La Befana has made a visit to their house. This is a significant day to Italians because it marks the end of the Christmas season and the day that the three Wise Men arrived at the manger of the Christ child. Over the years the Epiphany has been a more celebrated holiday for the children of Italy than even Christmas.

As legend has it the three Wise Men were in search of the Christ child when they decided to stop at a small house to ask for directions. Upon knocking, an old woman holding a broom opened the door slightly to see who was there. Standing at her doorstep were three colorfully dressed men who were in need of directions to find the Christ child. The old woman was unaware of who these three men were looking for and could not point them in the right direction. Prior to the three men leaving they kindly asked the old woman to join them on their journey. She declined because she had much housework to do. After they left she felt as though she had made a mistake and decided to go and catch up with the kind men. After many hours of searching she could not find them. Thinking of the opportunity she had missed the old woman stopped every child to give them a small treat in hopes that one was the Christ child. Each year on the eve of the Epiphany she sets out looking for the baby Jesus. She stops at each child's house to leave those who were good treats in their stockings and those who were bad a lump of coal.
Make sure to keep those stockings hung by the chimney in hopes that La Befana will soon be there. Buona Festa!

What kind of traditions do you have for Christmas?

12 comments:

  1. I think that it would be kind of weird to have a witch to bring you gifts for christams. It would also be unormal to celebrate the end of christmas, usually i am sad, but i do understand that they celebrate the three wise men too. Some of my traditions is going to my grandmas on christmas eve, opening gift at my house on christmas morning then eating with family, and then on the 26 we have my mom's side of christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girl that "delivers" the treats looks awfully mean.

    My dad has a thing where we get to open up a present on Christmas Eve, but only one and he chooses.

    That seems a little late to celebrate Christmas at the end of "winter".

    I go to four christmases. Two one each side of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That lady witch girl seems really CREEPY!!!! I dont think i would want a witch bringing me christmas gifts.
    I would be really scared if she came to my house and gave me presents, but i guess if you believed in it it wouldnt be that weird and its there religion.
    For christmas we usually open one christmas present on Christmas Eve and my parents get to choose which on and usually its the smallest one under the tree.
    On Christmas Day we usually get up at 5:30 in the morning. I am usually REALLY EXCITED!!!! but tired afterwards!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. on christmas day, we usually open gifts at our moms house. then later that day, we go to our grnadmas house to open gifts there. then on christmas eve, we go to our dad's house and open our gifts there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that lady does look creepy to stop by your house and give you presents and that would be late to get gifts for Christmas.

    I celebrate Christmas by on the first Saturday of December the DREES' have a Christmas party, my step mom's mom and dad opens gifts with their whole family, which I go to now.

    I have a Christmas party/My birthday party on Christmas Eve at the Leepers, On Christmas Day I open gifts with my little family, then head over to my Aunt Fonda's to eat and open gifts there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldnt want to get presents from that lady!
    Our family traditions are that we try to sleep in but you never can. We open presents and then eat breakfast. This year we are making breakfast for our family then opening ours later! We normally go to Indianapolis to have Christmas with family that live over there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wish i recieved a present on january 6th especially if was from a witch. our family always goes to our grandmas on christmas eve then when we get home we each open a gift then we open the rest on christmas morning. then our whole family comes to our house for brunch

    ReplyDelete
  8. The traditions we have are in the morning we wake up and my mom cooks this breakfast thing called "Egg Stuff" its like amazing! then we turn it to this xmas show but im not really sure of the name but it has some boy named "alfie" in it and he gets introuble a lot in the movie, and then we open all the gifts and just sit around and chill all day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that does sound like a weird tradition. i wouldnt like to wait until January 6th to get my presents. but i guess since they are used to getting them, it isnt any different. my christmas traditions are at my grandma and grandas house we always have a competition to see who can find a pickle in the tree (its a fake pickle) and whoever finds it gets an extra present.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is kind of weird. and the lady/witch looks extreamly creepy to me. It would be interesting to recieve gifts on January 6. I wouldnt mind it but it would be awkward. Our tradition is we usually go to my Grandma and Grandpa's house late christmas eve and eat and play games until really late. Nothing really "traditional" though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that this Italia tradition that the young kids have is sweeeeeet (:

    My family tradition on Christmas day is for all of us kids to open our presents at 6 a.m. cause Seve gets excited in the morning, then eat biscuits n gravy with bacon, watch "A Christmas Story" (what a classic!), then have another Christmas that night. Its a very busy day, but we all find time to sit around the fireplace and sip on some scrumptious hot chocolate! Yummy, I got to go, because now im craving hot chocolate.

    Hope your good and dont get any coal from the La Befana ! (:

    ReplyDelete
  12. ok, yeah, that "old woman" looks straight up creepy. even being a witch or something, it's amazing that she's survived all this time since before the birth of Christ. shoot. if she came knocking on MY door wanting to give me a "present", i would slam that thing on her pointy nose.

    i think she killed Santa.

    one tradition we have, is to read the Christmas story from Luke in the Bible Christmas morning. it's such a great account, and fun to read together every year, to remember the real reason for the season.

    ReplyDelete