Monday, October 26, 2009

harajuku

Harajuku Fashion is a sub set of Tokyo Fashion

Takeshita-dori - Harajuku Fashion
A narrow street packed with young fashionable people and lined with fashion boutiques and cafes. This is definitely the place to be seen if you are young Tokyoite, but well worth visiting as a tourist. Takeshita-dori represents the cutting edge of fashion in Tokyo where you can see all the latest in Japanese street fashion and then buy in the boutiques. Takeshita-dori is opposite the exit to Harajuku station. You can see over 40 photographs of Takeshita-dori in our picture gallery.

Harajuku Fashion - Youth Culture
If it's Harajuku's youth culture you want to see, don't even bother unless it's the weekend and preferably a Sunday. The bridge across the train tracks from Harajuku station to Yoyogi Park is full of Gothic Lolita or GothLoli. The costumes are very outstanding and you can't miss them. It is funny to see the surprise of the western tourists heading to Yoyogi Park and Meiji Jingu who clearly had not read their guide books fully on Harajuku. You can hear their comments that make it very clear they just don't understand what is going on. Essentially the youth who have dressed up are just hanging out with friends, many of them come with the hope of being snapped by one of the many magazine photographers who mingle in the crowd. Failing that there are lots of western tourist happy to take their pictures. See nearly 50 exclusive pictures of GothLoli in Harajuku.


Harajuku Fashion Omote-sando
The broad, tree-lined avenue leading downhill from the southern end of the JR Harajuku station is Omote-sandō (表参道). This is the other side to Harajuku fashion and its challenge to Shibuya and Ginza. Not only is the street full of cafes and clothing boutiques, but now features the very up market Omote-sando Hills. This very stylish centre is full of the who's who of the world fashion brands.


Harajuku Girls - Harajuku fashion is a hot Tokyo fashion style of Harajuku girls with many pictures and shopping guide.
Harajuku Girls is a term to describe women and teenaged girls in Harajuku (Tokyo Japan) who wear a style of clothing that originated in the street culture of major cities in Japan, i.e. Tokyo and Osaka. The "Harajuku style," named for the Harajuku district of Tokyo, combines a wide range of diverse influences, and is also known as "Fruits Fashion" by followers of Fruits Magazine. The terms "Harajuku Girls" and "Fruits" are not used by the Japanese to describe themselves.The term has come into popular use via Gwen Stefani's music videos and songs from her Love.Angel.Music.Baby album.



There are many fashion styles, and many different groups who spend time in this area. You may see people dressed in the following styles: Gothic Lolita, Decora, Kogal, Ganguro, Wamono, Second-Hand Fashion, Cyber Fashion.


Decora comes from the word "Decoration" and is a colorful style, usually with layered bright clothing and an emphasis on "cute" and brightly colored accessories.


Wamono is a style that mixes traditional Japanese clothing with western clothing styles. (See the brand name Takuya Angel for an example). Visual Kei or Anime Cosplayers also gather in Harajuku. However, these are not fashion movements.




so would you dress this way? what is the craziest or most daring outfit that you have ever worn?

16 comments:

  1. I probably wouldn't wear any of this stuff! I'm a pretty reserved person. I like how they "model" the clothes so you can see what they look like on. Some of their styles are WAY out there! I can't say that I have ever worn anything really crazy. But if I had to choose a time I would probably say a time Ebelinda and I dressed up! We just went crazy and walked around. That's about it, aside from Halloween and all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well no i wouldn't want to wear that! They look like a freak!! Also, the most daring is a strapless dress because i hate dresses and i really haven't been dared to wear anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm.. well no i would probably never dress this way, or anything like that for that matter[except for halloween]. The most craziest or daring outfit i have ever worn was dressed up like a guy. I used my brothers clothes and he also dressed up as the opposite gender. Even though, it was in public it still was pretty outragous. I actually looked like a boy. I will never do that again! It looks like Halloween everyday with those models and girls. Those are some pretty over the top outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After seeing and reading what they wear i dont think that i want their fashion styles!i am for sure that i would never wear anything like this unless it was for like Halloween or something. I would just never walk around in public like that on any ordinary day.I dont think i have worn anything that could relate to what they wear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, these outfits are crazy. the Wamono has so many decorations on her. i would kind of be freaked out if i walked through those streets. i think it was interesting to find out that they listen to Gwen Stefani's music. I dont like to get my picture taken so i would not want to be apart of that at all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only time I would dress like this is during Halloween or during parties. If I ever had to go out in public dressed like that, I would freak out. The craziest thing that I have ever worn is probably a Halloween costume.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is no way i would ever dress like that in real life or in America. There are some kids that dress like that in the United States that dress like that. The only time I would dress like is when its Halloween time. I know people at our school that dress like that. Its really weird!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i would never dress like that it is tooo wried the weridest thing that i was a power ranger i was the pink ranger with the stun ray it is fun

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would ever dress like that. There is some wierd looking clothes. I think the only time I have dress crazy is Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would think about dressing like that because at times it would be fun to dress like that because it gives anyone a chance to express yourself and other times it give them just plain embarrasment. The only time i dressed like that was at Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to go to Japan just to dress up like this! I think that Harajuku fasion is one on of the most intresting and unique fashions out there. Ifi get to go to Japan I WILL dress like this. I find it pretty cool. I wouldn;t be embarrassed by it because I would be dressing how I want to no matter how outrageous it is. I likw it because it's like Halloween all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yea i would never dress like that i would feel really stupid and i would be way to embarassed to go out in public to even think about to dress like that! THE MOST DARING THING I HAVE EVER DONE WAS WEARING MY OUTFIT FOR CRAZY DAY AT SCHOOL.. .... i looked dumb! this is victoria mahan alex let me use his since i cant remember my password i will have to make a new one soon. thanks! and sorry

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is alex. i think it would be awesome to dress like this i would do it for suree,but i think i would wear a cowboy hat to make it more american! and to be more cool. i dress cool all the time so i dont dress weird ever,anything i touch turns to gold so that means my clothes go with that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i would totally dress this way. minus all the bows and ribbons and stuff.
    but the mad hatter-looking red suit was sweet, and i liked the paint splatters also.
    it would be funny just to completely shock the tourists.

    the craziest thing i've ever worn would have to be.....red skinny jeans, i guess. that's not even daring. oh well.

    oh we're counting Halloween? well then...when i painted my face and ended up looking like an awful version of the Joker.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would 110% dress like this ! Im the type of girl who likes to try and dress different and unique. My since of style is the one thing I have to express how I feel. Im guessing by the way these Harajuku girls & boys dress is to set themselves apart from everybody else.

    Im into the funk shoes converse, flats, reeboks and jays. The colored jeans or skinny jeans. Plaid and mysterious patterns are my specialty though.

    The only thing I would not do is the goth and emo look. I dont think I could pull that off to well. But if I made it a little bit into my style... I think I could pull it off ! (:

    ReplyDelete