Monday, September 21, 2009

City dome and Kokyo

So I followed everyone's advice and went to the Tokyo City dome. It was awesome! And huge. I had to have a map to find my way around. I rode some roller coasters too. This is the Spinning coaster.

There were many many restaurants there. I opted for something more traditional this time and ate at the Sushi Soba Ginzo and had soba noodles (because I am still too chicken to eat real sushi.) Eating soba noodles with hashi... very difficult. And you have to make slirppy noises as you eat (proper etiquette). Really wild to here so many people making a lot of noise while eating.
This next day I decided to visit the Kokyo (Imperial Palace) which is in the center of the city. I had to take the subway. Wow. I don't know that I want to do that again. It was very crowded. They employ "pushers". People whose jobs are to shove everyone onto the train. Not fun.

Plus the train and subway system is a pain to figure out. There are private train companies, subways and commercial trains. They all intersect, share and cross lines. It was really confusing to pick the right one. And then you have to make sure you buy the ticket from the correct station and train or they won't let you on the train. Again really a pain. Check out the subway map I had to figure out.

So I took the right train and made it to the Tokyo station. From there it was a 10 minute walk to the Kokyo.
Here is view from one of the office buildings near by. It is weird how this ancient garden paradise can be in the middle of such modern buildings.


You need a map to get around the palace grounds because they are so vast.


This is the main genkan to the palace. Major tourist hot spot.


This palace is made up of what used to be the Edo Castle in the 17th to 19th centuries. The original moats, gates and stone walls still remain. The other structures were built later.


The gardens were very tranquil and beautiful.


So next I would like to do something and see a little more of the traditional side of Japan. So help me choose again Kyoto or Osaka and why?

16 comments:

  1. Wow! Tokyo Dome City seems like a great place with the office building view and the genton palace. It must have been a hard time for you to get around on the subway with the confusing map and choosing the right ticket. I can't believe the pushers had to push people into the subway. Next, you should visit Kyoto because Kyoto has temples, shrines, shopping places, and also fun entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great place! Just walking around there would be a site to see with all the bright lights. First of all, the whole noodle thing would bug the crap out of me. I can barely stand my siblings and how they eat let alone a whole room full of people eating like them. I would so want that job! I think it would be fun. The maps look very complicated. I'd get lost. The gardens would take pacitence something i don't have. I think you should go to Osaka because i have never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun. I wouldnt want to go on the subway. It would be uncomfortable with so many people on there! I think you should go to Kyoto because it sounds more traditional than Osaka. Also, you can visit temples. You should go shopping and see more entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The roller coster looks fun. I would not want to take the subway either. The gardens at the palace are very beautiful. You should go to Osaka because it has more restaurants and places to shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Tokyo City Dome sounded like it was a blast.I would have loved to come with you and ride the roller coasters.I like the kind of rush that they give you.On the other hand the gardens on the grounds of the palace looked like it would be a great place to go and walk around just to relax.I don't think I would have liked the subway,way too many people and I don't like people I don't know pushing me.I think you should go to Osaka because if you are still too afraid to try sushi, Osaka is the food capital of Japan and have a large variety of other foods to try.Osaka also has many historical sites to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had alot of fun at Tokyo Dome City. I wish I could've went and rode roller coasters too. I don't blame you for not wanting to try the sushi. It's not very good. I think you should go to Kyoto next since you want to go some where more traditional, you can see all sorts of traditional and ancient temples and things ay Kyoto

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like Tokyo Dome City was the right choice! You were crazy for going on the rollar coasters!
    I think you should go to Kyoto! It seems like a pretty place and somewhere you can go to relax at! The Buddist temple seems like somewhere that would be neat to see. It would also be nice to see the Japanese Cherry Blossoms bluming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow. the sounds of noodle slurping would definately get annoying to me. but all of the roller coaster and sights looked awesome. the "pushers" didnt look to friendly, but i think it would be funny to see if i wasnt part of it. i would go to Kyoto if you wanted to see traditional things because they have traditional temples and festivals there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good idea on taking everyone's advice it look sso much fun i am way jealous of you. the rollar coaster looks like a blast, but i def. wouldnt eat before i went on that. That is a disater waiting to happen. Well i hope you have alot more fun.. Oh i would choose Kyoto.!
    have fun VICTORIA MAHAN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If i wanted to see the traditional side of Japan i would choose Kyoto. Kyoto has Beautiful gardens and flowers, Also many festivals. Kyoto has a Thousand-plus temples and shrines. Kyoto features the most important festivals held at famous shrines and temples throughout the year. Sightseeing includes flower arranging and
    the tea ceremony is quite popular. Theres also Great Shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  11. cool but busy that subway thing not me. The food looks good though and the roller coaster awsome.i would go to Osaka to go see the castle and all the different places such as the aquarium.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd say Tokyo Dome City was definatly the right choice. If it were me though i would stay away from the subways. The garden looks very pretty. I think that you sould go to Kyoto next.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sure sounds like that place is crazy!
    I would NOT like the subway thing, it would be too much for me to handle.
    Food looks amazing and very good. The gardens look beautiful and peaceful.
    I would say the next place you go is Kyoto. This soulds like it has a lot of Japans history. It has the tea ceremonys also!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The food here look amazing.i would love to ride the subway thing. It would be soooo much fun, but CRAZY at the same time.I would go to Kyoto because the gardens are beutiful and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. well thanks for taking everyone's advice! I thought the sobra noodles looked amazing. The gardens were beautiful, but I would have gotten lost in the palace, for sure.
    I also would have gotten sick on that spinny coaster. Kudos, Mr. Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The food here look delicious ! i would love to ride the subway thing. It would be soooo much fun, but very crazy at the same time.I would go to Kyoto because the gardens are beutiful and peaceful and everyone needs that once in a while !

    ReplyDelete